Now we have walked together for quite a while. We have navigated some difficult stretches of learning and adjustment but have also had some really great stretches, just having fun and enjoying our life together. Sometimes both in the same day. : )
But rather than just reflect on our time together, I just want to reflect on 9 of my favorite things about Kyle. Because regardless of what we have in our lives, he's my favorite part. Here they are, in random order.
2. CUDA microfinance - He has headed up this program and has done an amazing job. He did it because someone needed to, and rather than go from training he had received in school, he battled through, researched, learned and figured it out. In the process, he has found his niche and joy in his work, plus he is just really good at it! I'm proud of him.
3. Wisdom - Granted, when we are, um, discussing a topic, this is the last thing I want to admit, but let's face it: The man has his head on straight. I know if I ask his opinion on something I've read or a question I'm struggling with, he will have a solid, straightforward response and reasons to back it up. He also gives really good feedback and asks good questions.
4. Bluntness - He says what he thinks. Being a sensitive type myself, I tend not to take this so well, but as someone who can over-edit her words, I appreciate and admire his ability to express freely exactly what he thinks. It also earns him respect from others, because he can be blatantly honest in difficult conversations because it is the right thing to do.
5. Exaggeration - He wouldn't be my Kyle without it. If he really wants to emphasize a point, adding a "very" or "extremely" does not suffice. He keeps it fun, folks.
Example - Me: That's great! Kyle: That's 8000 shades of awesome!
6. Randomness/spontaneity - Who cares that the plan was for baked chicken and sweet potatoes for lunch? I think we need an impromptu family date. Or if not, we at least need to make cookies. And anytime is a good time for silliness with the girls. I'm a planner, and he keeps me from locking and bolting myself down into a set plan that cannot be moved. He makes sure we think outside my box.
7. Getting deals - This is a little bizarre, but Kyle can just about get anyone to do anything for him. I kind of don't get it. He gets 2-for-1-Tuesday deals on Thursdays. He goes through the "pregnant/babies/old people" line without any. You'd think it takes sweet talking, but something about him just makes people cooperate, so I haven't been able to glean any tips on how to make this work.
8. Predictability - This mostly applies when it comes to food. At any restaurant, if fettucini alfredo is on the menu, he will most certainly try it, just to see how it measures up. He will do the same with a steak. Basically, I just like that I know him well enough to know what he'll choose in just about any situation. I like that he is who he is and doesn't stress about changing that unnecessarily.
9. He's mine! 9 years in and I wouldn't change this fact at all. Happy anniversary, babe! You're still the one I'd pick if I had it to do all over again. I love you!